Saturday, January 29, 2011

Quick Post Before I Pass Out

Hey folks, sorry about last week. I kind of screwed up my ankle pretty bad Saturday and was too busy being in pain to think about posting.

Also this week I'm too exhausted to give you anything good, so how about a brief recap of the previous night?

Good, because that's all I'm giving you.

Last night, I attended a game for our college hockey team. It was fun, I drank a beer, ate some nachos, and didn't really care about what was going on in the game. We were losing 2-1 when we left at 11:15. It's okay, that was just to kill time until midnight.

At midnight, we headed over to one of the closest game shops, Above Board Games, for the midnight prerelease of the new Magic: The Gathering set - Mirrodin Besieged. In it, each player chose between the two factions of Mirran and Phyrexian and received 3 Scars of Mirrodin booster packs, and 3 special packs consisting of cards strictly from their chosen faction. I chose Phyrexia, because if you haven't played any Magic recently, poison is RIDICULOUS these days. Phyrexia is loaded with cards that poison your opponent to death, and in this format, that meant it was the proper competitive choice to make.

Anyway, the tournament consisted of, if I had to guess, approximately 60 players and 6 rounds, then cutting to a single round for the top 8 players to decide final rankings. I had gotten a little lucky with my card pool, and managed to go undefeated until round 5. Unfortunately, my luck and ability to play were both dwindling as the tournament reached its end. We started at midnight and finished around 7:30 a.m., so lack of sleep became a very challenging issue to deal with. Sadly, my lack of sleep was my downfall, and cost me my last two rounds. I made it to top 8, in 8th place, but I still made it in. However I had to get paired against the guy who was in first as the time, and he royally flattened me (having a better card pool than me and apparently having the ability to play through sleep deprivation will do that). However, I'm still content with the results - I made it into the top 8 out of about 60 other players and had some fun doing it. That's a nice accomplishment in itself.

And that's about it. I'm going to go pass out now.

-Arlon The Enigma

No comments: