Monday, December 13, 2010

Honor among thieves!

When I think of well known thieves, of course there are some pretty fantastic names that I think of..

Lupin the 3rd being the best of all of course!


Lupin had his own code of conduct that was an honor among thieves for the most part.
This same honor code has roots back to old works of literature, in the years of Rome, even to today where it can be found in video game lore of Oblivion and other works.
Codes such as: Do not steal from another thief, and to not kill other thieves.
Putting an almost noble spin on theft, robin hood type essence of taking from the rich and giving to the poor is a very idealistic approach to the subject matter.
This same principal has even been allowed by some judges in a ruling of a decision: stating that under the right circumstances: thievery is an acceptable option.


I completely agree with this concept.  I will admit, when it comes to a MMORPG: a rogue is the first character I will create.  I would gladly steal extra items to later sell to npc's to make a little extra profit than others over time.  This can stack up greatly! Not to mention when it comes to the really high level shit, when you can steal stuff that sells for really big profit, that you're the only class that has access to set item.
That is when I really start to have fun with end game stuff in video games. 




Though, this post isn't directed towards video game thievery, awesome animes based around master thieves or anything like that.  This is based upon real life. 
As I look back on it more and more: my family has kinda a tradition or even a bloodline of thievery. 
Sure, my parents like to live by a moral code of ethics, but when the shit hits the fan, those walls of morality like to phase down faster than the defensive shields of a Klingon K23 versus a Predator ship. (Yeah, i went there!)
My mom, the wonderful woman that she can be: I've even caught her using the family trades.  My father, he did a wonderful theft of his own.  He managed to make away from an entire family with a 15,000$ motorcycle, and is currently hiding out in Tennessee.  The downside of that achievement is.. that motorcycle was my college fund. XD
It just seems that the tighter the string gets around our neck, the lower the moral resistance kicks in to do such acts.
I have no problem admitting that I have developed a technique: it's by no means perfect, or even close to upper ranking, but I'm learning as I go.  I've also studied the trade, from lock picking, to slight of hand, even to misdirection: there are lots of things that can come in handy. 
Sure there is a risk, there is a risk in anything you do in life; it's just whether or not the juice may be worth the squeeze.  I would never steal from an innocent though, never from a friend, or even a stranger.  This is where I like to draw a line of my own.  Sure I may attempt things: just for practice, but with no intent to keep.  Pickpocketing for example. 

The point I'm trying to get across... at 4:00 am in the morning -_-, yeah: is that.. we all have our own cards in life to deal with, sure: we may have a pretty shitty hand.  It's just how we decide to play that hand that will decide whether or not we live long another for another game. 

Also: just a fun little quote type thing that I somewhat thought of, I just thought it sounded cool:
It's not the man with the biggest gun, the loudest voice, or the strongest punch that you need to be worried about... It's the guy who is giving them the orders that you should be scared of...

Thank you for reading: this has been my second installment into the Ballister mindset.  By the end of this lovely journey, more about me than a large percentile of my close friends and family even know may be revealed: Who knows?!? Thank you, and have a wonderful night.

No comments: